Jun 23, 2024  
2017-2019 Academic Catalog 
2017-2019 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Registration Procedures

Incoming, continuing, transfer and re-admitted students must present themselves for registration in accordance with the plans of registration established for the current year and listed in the University Calendar. Students should consult their academic advisors for assistance in preparing their schedules. Each student, however, must assume the responsibility of studying his/her curriculum carefully and should register each semester according to its requirements. Continuing students are expected to participate in pre-advisement/early registration for the succeeding semester.

No student has completed registration until he/she has paid fees as assessed by the Office of Business and Finance. No student will be permitted to remain in class unless his/her name appears on the class roster generated by the Office of Records and Registration.

Policies for Adding or Withdrawing (Dropping) From a Course

A student is permitted to add or discontinue attendance in specific classes during regular and summer semesters in accordance with the following University policies:

  • Credit courses may be added or dropped only during the official add/drop period designated in the Academic Calendar
  • A student who withdraws from all courses during a given semester is required to complete an official University Withdrawal form
  • A student enrolled in 12-18 hours is a full-time student; 6-11 hours, a part-time student; 1-5 hours, less than part-time
  • Courses dropped before or on the last day of the drop add period will not be recorded on the student’s transcript
  • The Office of Records and Registration will record a grade of “W” on a student’s official transcript when the student withdraws from a course after the census date.

Guidelines for Enrolling in More Than 18 Hours

The normal course load for undergraduate students varies from 12-18 hours. A student may request an overload of up to 3 hours (total load of 21 hours). The student is responsible for all fees associated with the course overload. The student requesting the overload must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0. In rare instances and on a case by case basis, a student who has less than a 3.0 GPA may be granted permission to take 19 hours.

Withdrawal from the University

A student who wishes to discontinue his/her course work prior to the end of a semester must complete and file an “Official Withdrawal Form” with the Office of Records and Registration. The student must satisfy all accounts due to the University through the Office of Business and Finance. A student who discontinues attending classes but who fails to withdraw officially in a timely manner may receive an “FA” in all courses for which he/she is registered.

Credit for Repeating a Course

A student may request permission to repeat a course for credit providing the first grade in the course is less than “C.” Only the higher grade will be used to calculate the grade point average; however, the “D” or “F” grade will appear on the transcript with an asterisk indicating that the course has been repeated.

Auditing Courses

A student may audit a course without credit by securing the consent of the appropriate dean, the instructor, and the Provost/Vice President of Academic Affairs. The student must formally register for the audited course and pay course fees.

Official Transcripts

Transcripts of personal records are issued by Dillard University to current students, graduates and all others who have attended the university, and may be sent to other institutions upon written request of the student. The University does not honor telephone requests for transcripts. Transcripts must be requested from the Office Records and Registration in person, by mail, or online. Transcripts cannot be faxed.

Consortium Agreement

Dillard University along with Loyola University New Orleans, Notre Dame Seminary, Tulane University, and Xavier University of Louisiana has a cooperative agreement that allows students to cross-register for undergraduate courses at the institutions during the fall and spring semesters.

  • Cross-registration opportunities are contingent upon capacity in courses not available to students at their home institution.
  • Students who cross-register must maintain full-time status including credit hours taken at consortium institutions.
  • Only course credits from the host institution will transfer.

For additional information contact the Office of Records and Registration at (504) 816-4705.

The Student Right-to-Know Act

The Student Right-to-Know Act was enacted in 1990 by federal law. The law requires institutions that receive Title IV HEA student financial aid to collect, report and/or disclose graduation rates for full-time, first-time, degree-seeking undergraduate students and students receiving athletically related student aid.

Notification of Students’ Rights Under FERPA

(Family Education Rights and Privacy Act)

Annually, Dillard informs students of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Public Law 93-380). The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.

A student should submit to the registrar, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the registrar to whom the request is submitted, the registrar shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

  1. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.

A student who wishes to ask the University to amend a record should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.

If the University decides not to amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

  1. The right to provide written consent before the University disclosed personally identifiable information from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

The University does not disclose education records without a student’s prior written consent. However, information may be disclosed to school officials with legitimate education interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted as its agent to provide a service instead of using University employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

A school official has a legitimate education interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility for the University.

  1. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-5920

Dillard University may disclose, without consent, “directory” information such as a student’s name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, honors and awards and dates of attendance. Questions concerning the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act may be referred to the University Registrar.

HIPPA - The Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act

The Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPPA) of 1996 mandates certain rights to privacy regarding protected health information (PHI).

Dillard University Student Health and Wellness Center

Notice of Privacy Practices Policy

This notice describes how medical information may be used, disclosed and how students can access their health information.

The Student Health and Wellness Center (SHWC) provides medical health care services. The staff and providers of the center must collect information to provide these medical services. The Health and Wellness Center knows that information collected is private. Federal and State law requires that this information Protected Health Information (PHI)- is protected. Personal and health information includes both medical information and individually identifiable information, like name, address, telephone number, or Social Security number. Information protected is in all formats including electronic, written and oral information.

This Notice of Privacy Practices conveys how the Health and Wellness Center may use or disclose information. Not all situations will be described in this notice. We are required to give you a notice of our privacy practices for the information we collect and keep about you. The Health and Wellness Center may change its privacy practices and make that change effective for all PHI maintained by Dillard University. The effective date of this Notice of Privacy Practices is April 4, 2011.

Dillard University Health and Wellness Center may use and disclose information without your authorization for the following:

  1. Treatment. Health care information may be disclosed to other health care providers involved in the patient’s health care.
  2. Designated People. Information may be released to individuals upon the patient’s request.
  3. Payment. Information may be used or disclosed to get payment for services rendered through a second party.
  4. Health Care Operations. Your information may be used or disclosed to manage SHWC programs and activities.
  5. Public health activities. The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals is the public health agency that keeps and updates vital records such as births, deaths, and tracking of some health care issues and diseases.
  6. Health Oversight activities. Information may be used or disclosed to agencies during the course of audits, investigations, inspections, licensure and other proceedings.
  7. Required by Law for Law Enforcement. Dillard University Student Health and Wellness Center (SHWC) will use and disclose information when required by Federal or State law, by a court order, or Dillard University Office of Public Safety.
  8. Abuse Reports and Investigations. Dillard University SHWC is required by law to receive and investigate reports of abuse, neglect or exploitation.
  9. Government Programs. Information may be used or disclosed for public benefits under government programs.
  10. University officials. Information may be used or disclosed to administrative personnel for administrative intervention.
  11. To avoid harm. Information may be used or disclosed in order to avoid a serious threat to health, welfare and safety of a person or the public.
  12. Disaster relief. Information may be used or disclosed to a public or private disaster relief organization assisting with an emergency.

Other rights regarding health information

  1. You have the right to inspect your health information and obtain a copy of it.
  2. You have the right to request to receive your health information through a reasonable alternative means or at an alternative location.
  3. You have the right to revoke any authorization you may have given us to use or disclose your health information, except to the extent that the action has already been taken.
  4. You have the right to be told whom we have given your health information within five (5) years of your initial visit.
  5. You have the right to ask us to amend your health information. Request must be submitted in writing. If we do not agree to amend your record, we will tell you why, in a written document.
  6. You have the right to request a restriction on certain uses and disclosures of your health information. The Student Health and Wellness Center is not required to agree to the requested restriction.

Any of the above requests must be made in writing and submitted to Dillard University Health and Wellness Center.