The mission of the program in chemistry is to enable graduates to enter professional practice as a chemist in the areas of research, development, production, sales consulting and management, or to enter graduate or professional programs leading to advanced degrees in the following broad fields of specialization: analytical chemistry, biochemistry, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, or physical chemistry. The judicious use of electives enables students to meet admission requirements to enter health profession schools.
The Chemistry program, through a highly personalized and learning-centered approach, provides students with a basic and broad understanding of the fundamentals of chemistry with progression to advanced concepts and instrumental methods. The Chemistry program educates and prepares chemistry majors for employment, graduate school, and/or professional school. To this end, the program has established the following objectives.
- Provide a basic understanding of chemical fundamentals in general, analytical, and organic chemistry as well as an introduction to advanced concepts in biochemistry and physical chemistry.
- Introduce students to basic laboratory safety, ethics, techniques and research methodologies and instrumentation associated with chemistry.
- Prepare students for admission to graduate and professional schools and/or for employment in chemistry or related professions.
- Offer courses in six interrelated chemistry sub-disciplines approved by the American Chemical Society (ACS): General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Biochemistry and Physical Chemistry.
- Maintain a curriculum aligned with the standards recommended by the American Chemical Society Committee on Professional Training (CPT) and provide co- and prerequisite knowledge and skills for progression toward upper level courses.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate basic knowledge and skills in courses offered in the major and skills related to the chemistry profession.
- Demonstrate competence in using various techniques and equipment following the proper experimental procedure and ability to produce analyze, and draw conclusions from laboratory data and write a complete report.